Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas)
Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is safe, the patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remains in control of all bodily functions.
The patient may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide:
- Safe to use on children!
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
- Patients are able to drive themselves home after the appointment.
GET THE SMILE YOU"VE ALWAYS WANTED!
Our mission is to treat every patient as a member of our family.
For more information about or or to schedule a consultation with our Dentists Dr. Laura Funke or Dr. James Funke, please call our Milwaukee WI office at Funke Family Dentistry Phone Number 414-645-7777 or
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
You should not utilize Nitrous Oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or are pregnant. Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide; however, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, exotic chest problems, M.S., cold or other difficulties with breathing.